Truck Accidents in the United States
Although large commercial trucks like 18-wheelers are an integral part of the U.S. transportation system, they are, nonetheless, an extremely dangerous presence on American roadways. Because of the size and force of large commercial trucks, the impact of an accident has the potential to be devastating to smaller passenger vehicles. Despite the serious injuries and property damage that can result from these accidents, they continue to occur across the country with shocking regularity.
The following is a brief breakdown of some of the statistics regarding truck accidents in the United States to help give a clearer picture of just how serious this problem is:
- Between 400,000 – 500,000 truck accidents occur each year in the United States, with considerable variety in the yearly numbers
- In 2010, the latest year for which reliable information is available, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety reported that large trucks were involved in accidents resulting in 3,413 fatalities
- As many as 130,000 truck accident injuries occur each year in the U.S.
- Approximately 9% of annual fatal automotive accidents in the United States involve a large commercial truck
- 72% of fatalities involving a large commercial truck come from the passenger vehicles involved in the accident, while bicyclists, motorcyclists, and pedestrians account for an additional 13% of fatalities
- Commercial truck accidents have an average cost of $59,150, though the actual costs to victims can vary widely
- More than 60% of truck accidents in the U.S. each year do not occur on interstate highways, but rather on smaller roads, often in rural areas
As these statistics should make clear, truck accidents are a significant concern to motorists across the county, and drivers should do everything in their power to avoid collisions with these vehicles.
Get Help from a Texas Truck Accident Lawyer
If you’ve been injured in a truck accident and need help pursuing compensation from the responsible truck driver or trucking company, contact the Houston truck accident attorneys at Williams Kherkher today by calling (888) 220-0640 for the experienced representation you deserve.