Jim's journey did have some small detours. One was on the grid iron where he was starting quarterback for the Texas Tech Red Raiders in Lubbock, the same school where he met his wife, Susan. "She was a Red Raider Recruiter when I played ball and we had a mutual recruit we were showing around campus with the intention of hopefully "selling" him on coming to Texas Tech. The recruit ended up going to the University of Texas, but Susan and I started dating from that point forward."
After graduation, Jim worked for a small developer in commercial real estate for 2 years before attending law school at Tech. He and Susan were married shortly before he began classes. "I got married the summer before law school and I teased my wife about how hard I thought it was to bring my grades to my parents and then discovered it was much harder to bring them home to your wife who was working full time while I was in school."
Today, Jim is much less concerned about bringing home grades to Susan and more focused on helping his clients get the best results possible. "Whether it is allowing some one who is unable to work to be provided the money that will allow them to support their families for the rest of their lives or working on a union matter and being able to put an employee back to work who did not deserve to be terminated, we are focused on helping the client get results."
And Jim believes Williams Kherkher Hart Boundas, LLP. is best assembled to help its clients achieve those stellar results. "We are a well rounded firm that focuses on representing individual plaintiffs. We are one of the few firms in the country doing what we do with the staff and financial ability to handle any case size. This allows us to always maximize the results for our clients."
Although the office keeps him busy, Jim does manage plenty of time for his family. Jim and Susan have five daughters, all in their twenties. In the past, during his spare time he enjoyed coaching his girls’ basketball teams, attending cheerleading competitions and dance recitals. Although his daughters are all grown, he still spends as much time with them as he can. He looks forward to weddings and grandchildren. Jim is a golfer and takes pleasure in his Alma Mater’s athletic teams. (Go Tech!)
As a final piece of advice for clients, however, Jim says that they should always be honest with their attorney and feel like they have a good and open line of communication with them. "I am in a rare profession where you can see your hard work and how it directly helps people. Our clients should always feel like they are a part of that process and realize how much of an important role they play in the overall success of their cases."
Contact Jim or any other dedicated attorneys at Williams Kherkher to discover more about your legal options.
Areas of Practice
- Board Certified in Labor & Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Personal Injury
- Toxic Torts
- Product Liability
- Work-Related Injuries
- Fires and Explosions at Chemical Plants and Refineries
- Jim is Board Certified in Labor & Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. He has handled various matters before most state and federal employment and labor related agencies. Additionally, Jim has tried numerous personal injury lawsuits in Texas and Pennsylvania. A majority of his personal injury cases have involved toxic torts, product liability, and work-related injuries, with numerous cases involving fires and explosions at chemical plants and refineries. He practiced labor and employment law in Houston with Andrews & Kurth, until making the move to Williams Kherkher in 1995.
- Juris Doctorate degree, with honors Texas Tech School of Law in 1991 Member of Phi Delta Phi and Order of the Coif
- Texas Tech University B.B.A. in Finance in 1984 Four-year varsity letterman on the football team and a captain his senior year
Legal Memberships and Professional Affiliations
- Texas State Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Jim was named a Super Lawyer®, by Thomson Reuters, in 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 as selected by practicing attorneys in Texas
- Named 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell
Licensed to Practice
- U.S. District Court for the Northern, Southern, Western and Eastern Districts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit